Monday, April 25, 2016

Mobility is closely tied to equality, problem is, equality is not, nor has it ever been, a goal in the US.

The Austin Chronicle: "I commend Mayor Steve Adler for attempting to make better transportation a priority in Austin. I agree with him, and with U.S. Depart­ment of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, that mobility is closely tied to equality. Foxx was quoted in a March 29 Washington Post article as saying, "Trans­portation for a long time has been seen in the light of something that is connected to opportunity. If we don't appreciate that and figure out how to do better, I think we're going to constrain our ability to grow our country. Everybody has got to have a shot." Foxx recalled growing up in a poor, black Charlotte, N.C., neighborhood: "Free­ways were there to carry people through my neighborhood, but never to my neighborhood.""

No comments:

Post a Comment